Data Interoperability Extension for ArcGIS Desktop
Data Interoperability Extension for ArcGIS Desktop eliminates barriers for data sharing by providing state-of-the-art direct data access, transformation, and export capabilities. This extension enables ArcGIS Desktop users to easily use and distribute data in many formats.
With Data Interoperability Extension for ArcGIS Desktop you can:
- Directly read more than 70 spatial data formats including GML, XML, Autodesk DWG/DXF, MicroStation Design, MapInfo MID/MIF and TAB, Oracle and Oracle Spatial, and Intergraph GeoMedia Warehouse.
- Export to more than 50 spatial data formats.
- Model and diagram custom spatial data formats using a semantic data translation engine with 150 specialized transformers.
- Integrate with the geoprocessing framework including ModelBuilder to add data format manipulations within GIS models.
Direct Read, Data Translation, and Data Transformation
The ArcGIS Data Interoperability extension enables ArcGIS Desktop and all the ArcView, ArcEditor, and ArcInfo users to directly read and import more than 70 spatial data formats and export more than 50. Users also have the flexibility to define custom data formats within an interactive visual diagramming environment. Developed in conjunction with Safe Software, the ArcGIS Data Interoperability extension was built on their industry-standard Feature Manipulation Engine (FME) product.
Regardless of the format, users can now easily use any standard GIS data within the ArcGIS Desktop environment. This means that users can directly read, display, and analyze this data using all the tools available within ArcGIS Desktop.
Why Use Data Interoperability Extension for ArcGIS Desktop?
Data is a critical component of any GIS. It is often crucial to be able to integrate multiple data sources to build a system or complete a model. Data is available in a variety of formats, with varying degrees of quality and accuracy. The ArcGIS Desktop products offer an extensive array of tools for data management and analysis. The Data Interoperability Extension for ArcGIS Desktop enhances these tools by being able to provide access to data through direct read, translation, and transformation.
Use Data Interoperability Extension for ArcGIS Desktop to:
- Directly access all standard data formats without the need to convert between formats.
- Share data with anyone by exporting to various formats.
- Create custom data formats and transformations that support complex data models.
- Improve productivity by working within a single GIS that integrates data from any source.
Who Uses Data Interoperability Extension for ArcGIS Desktop?
Data Interoperability Extension for ArcGIS Desktop is for anyone who needs to build a GIS using data from a variety of sources. Any organization that has or must support multiple GIS software systems would also benefit from this extension. For example, Data Interoperability Extension for ArcGIS Desktop can be used by:
- Government departments sharing information
- GIS service providers
- Engineering consultants
- Data conversion companies
- Data publishers/vendors
- Utility companies accepting data from contractors
- Government organizations with the responsibility to deliver data
- Consultants who require integration/combination of data from different sources
- Enterprise organizations with multiple database GIS technologies
- GIS data portals/clearinghouses