MapInfo Professional 11.5
MapInfo Professional is a powerful Microsoft Windows-based mapping application that allows business analysts and GIS professionals to easily visualize the relationships between data and geography. Version 11.5 introduces key customer benefits through the following capability enhancements in the area of:
- Effective tabular data creation and analysis via the all new Browser Window
- Ability to perform memory intensive operations through Enhanced support of 64 bit operating environments
- Access to more data and location services via MapInfo Professional Premium Services
- Better data management through out of the box connectivity to MapInfo Manager
MapInfo Professional enables users to perform detailed data analysis to drive insightful decisions leveraging the spatial information inherent in their data. Use MapInfo Professional to:
- Manage geographically based assets, such as stores, people and property
- Plan logistics and prepare for emergency response
- Reveal geographic patterns in tabular data
- Perform sophisticated location based data analysis on an ad-hoc basis
- Create custom desktop mapping applications
- Share content with other Pitney Bowes Business Insight offerings i.e. use maps produced by MapInfo Professional in MapInfo Manager, MapXtreme, MapInfo Stratus and Exponare
- Visualize and analyze trends in spatial scientific data for mineralization or pollution targeting
Specifically, MapInfo Professional provides the following key enhancements:
Effective tabular data creation and analysis:
- Vastly improved tabular data creation tools to save time and improve productivity
- Enhanced visualization for better output presentation
- Easier data manipulation/analysis saves time when analyzing data
Better data management with MapInfo Manager
- Quickly find the data you want
- Know its origin, quality and author w/out ever opening the data
- Add the data to your map with a click of a button
- Share your data with others in the organization
- All this w/out ever leaving MapInfo Professional
Enhanced support of 64 bit operating environments
- Access to up to 4Gig of RAM (instead of 2GB) on 64 Bit systems means fewer "out of memory” issues with data access and memory intensive operations
- Extensive support of 64 Bit Desktop and Server Operating systems means: MapInfo Professional will meet the ever advancing operating Windows environments
MapInfo Professional Premium Services – Exciting new service from PBBI
- Instant access to worldwide Road level data via Microsoft Bing Road Tiles
- Quickly move your map to anywhere an address or a place name with "Move Map To” Service
- Convenient access to OSM Road Tiles provide alternative style to worldwide road tiles
MapInfo Professional Capabilities
Desktop Operating Systems:
- Windows XP SP3 (Required) – for .NET 4.0
- Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 with 32-bit compatibility mode
Server Operating Systems:
- Windows 2008 Server 64 Bit SP2
- Windows 2008 R2 64 bit SP1
- Windows 2008 (64 Bit) Server SP2 with XenServer (a.k.a. Citrix)
Data Base Connectivity:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client
- Oracle ODBC Driver 11.2
- PostgreSQL ANSI ODBC driver 8.x
Oracle OCI Client:
- Oracle Instant Client version 126.96.36.199.0
- SQL Server 2005 with SpatialWare 4.9
- SQL Server 2008
- Oracle Spatial 11Gr2, 10Gr2.
- PostgreSQL 8.3 with PostGIS v1.3
- PostGIS v9.0 with PostGIS v1.5.2
- Microsoft Access 2007, 2010
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 XY on a spatialized DB
- Oracle Spatial 10Gr2, 11Gr2
Dependencies and Prerequisites
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 Full
- 2 Hotfixes for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
- Microsoft Office Access database engine 2010 - Note: does not install when the 64 bit office 2010 driver is installed
- Microsoft Office Access database engine 2007—required only on a 64 bit Operating System that has the 64 bit 2010 driver installed
Enhanced support of 64 Bit Operating Systems:
More Virtual Memory: MapInfo Professional v11.0 will automatically detect and utilize the additional virtual memory on 64Bit Operating systems up t0 4Gig. The user will have up to twice the available memory space than 32Bit environments (from 2Gig Limit to 4Gig).
Net Benefit: Operations such as: Object Processing, Large Grid, MS Excel and Raster data loading and contouring operations will be given substantially more memory space which will significantly reduce the instances where users got "Out of Memory” errors.
- Enhanced: Options to switch between small/medium/large cross hairs (x letter) -- easy to see cross hair cursor
- Support for UK/AUS spellings for Units. i.e. Metres; Kilometres, SQ, Kilometers
New: Browser Engine
- Easy Sort:
- Quickly sort up to 4th columns for a table or a query
- Sort Query tables
- Automatic fit of column width to content visible data length
- Multi line support (for Browser and Labels)
- Easily set font and style options for any browser window
- Better selection visibility
- Multi record select via click and drag
- Easy data/cell navigation and editing options
- Multiple Undo/Redo at cell level (use case: a long number or memo Field)
- Support for Windows themes/skins/colors
- Efficient display of deleted records (better use of screen real-estate)
- Full MapBasic Support
Updated Preferences Dialog
- Better Logical groupings aid in better navigation
- New Browser Preferences dialog
- New Alternate row color setting via preferences (run menu command 222)
New: Open MWS map data in MapInfo Professional
- Support to open multiple maps, Styles and thematic layers and legends
- Support for MapBasic
New tools added to MapCAD
- Scale objects - Scales geographic objects by a specified factor
- Orthogonal Points - Position points orthogonal to a reference line
- Measurement Line - Generates measurement lines with cumulated distance and distance to objects
Library aware data
- Search and open data using "Google” like search within MIPro
- Quickly view table metadata when working with tables managed by MapInfo Manager
- Instantly determine if a table is managed
- Automatic re-harvest upon managed table save operation
- Ability to add tables to MapInfo manager Library
Bing Premium Services – Requires additional fee (comes as eval in the 30 day version)
- Bing Road Tile: New Bing Road tile layer
- Move Map to: option to center a map around a place name (gazetteer) or an address
- OSM Road Tile: New Open Street Maps Road tile layer
- Dynamic Cash for live data – better performance with RDB live + cash
- MS Office 2010 support
Win QUAL Win
- Through reports from the system we discovered that when a user opens a file using a long path (more than 165 characters long) MIPro used to crash. We corrected the issue and included this fix in v11.0
Expected benefits of the new capabilities
MapInfo Professional v11.0 addresses key usability and business problems related to data creation, data analysis and management. This section highlights these issues and how MIPro v11.0 addresses them:
Problem: Attribute or alphanumeric data is traditionally viewed as columns and rows. Users of MapInfo Professional that had to interact with tabular data until now, found alphanumeric data creation, editing, and even navigating from cell to cell and from column to column a time consuming process requiring multiple mouse/keyboard combinations.
MapInfo Professional V11.0 Solution: MapInfo Professional v11.0 makes tabular data entry, editing, navigation and analysis a snap. The new Browser window offers advanced data entry options and follows latest industry practices that result in easy simple and effective alphanumeric data entry experience.
Problem: When working with hundreds of records, visually tracking alphanumeric data in a large table can be daunting and is this method is prone to errors due to mismatch in row identity
MapInfo Professional Solution: The new user controlled alternating row colours and easy access to browser text font, colour and style, provides the user with multiple visual aids to minimize mistaken identity and improve the overall visual expiriance
Problem: When working with large datasets, quickly hiding columns or sorting the data to see the highest value records first is a multi step process requiring knowledge of "SQL select” syntax which is discouraging to many non-technical users.
MapInfo Professional Solution: The new right click context menu in MapInfo Professional makes the re-ordering or hiding of columns a simple UI process. The easy and intuitive sort dialog ensures that any user with little to no knowledge of SQL syntax can perform this important operation with ease.
Problem: MapInfo Professional errors out when processing large data sets or when trying to open large imagery or grid files.
MapInfo Professional Solution: With v11.0 MapInfo Professional on 64Bit operating systems will utilize up to 4Gig of RAM. This is an increase of 100% from its prior limit. This means, less instances of "Out of Memory” errors for users.
Problem: When users want to find data on their system or in their organization, they end up spending large amounts of time traversing through directory structures. When they finally find the data, it is not easy for them to tell the currency of that data nor its author or resolution. Therefore, the analysis they conduct using this data carries level of risk in terms of accuracy and validity.
MapInfo Professional Solution: With MapInfo Professional’s direct integration with MapInfo Manager, the searching and inquiring of such information is directly integrated in MapInfo Professional. Furthermore, users can open and view the data right from MapInfo Professional.
Problem: User of MapInfo Professional want to easily overlay street tile data much like they are able to see Aerial imagery today. This helps in rapid contextual awareness w/out spending time on opening large amounts of data.
MapInfo Professional Solution: With MapInfo Professional’s premium services, adding road level contextual data is as easy as clicking a button. Adding road data backdrop to any map has never been this easy.
Problem: MapInfo Professional users want to quickly move the map to different locations. The locations may be place names like "The Golden Gate Bridge” or exact addresses such as "286 Cambridge St. Boston, MA”. This ability will allow users to quickly and efficiently examine different places of interest.
MapInfo Professional Solution: With MapInfo Professional’s premium services, users will have access to "Move Map To” service which will allow them to type in a place name or an address to zoom the map to and start working.